.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ode to Wall Street

.
.
As the nation's mightiest financial institutions fall like dominoes, taking the retirement accounts of 300 million average Janes and Joes with them, WB thought it might be a good time for everyone to re-learn a famous song from the Great Depression, the classic "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?"
They used to tell me I was building a dream,
and so I followed the mob,
When there was earth to plow, or guns to bear,
I was always there right on the job.

They used to tell me I was building a dream,
with peace and glory ahead,
Why should I be standing in line,
just waiting for bread?

Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad; now it's done.
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Once I built a tower, up to the sun,
brick, and rivet, and lime;
Once I built a tower, now it's done.
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Once in khaki suits, gee we looked swell,
Full of that Yankee Doodly Dum,
Half a million boots went slogging through Hell,
And I was the kid with the drum!

No comments: